Heatstroke: What to look for
Warm summer days have finally arrived. Please read the list of DO's and DON'TS to avoid heatstroke.
ON A HOT DAY - DO....
- Exercise early morning or evening when the temperature is cooler.
- If you have left your pet alone outside, ask your neighbour to check on it and make sure it has a shady area to escape to.
- Keep your pet inside, if you don’t have air conditioning use fans to increase air circulation.
- Spray small animals with a spray bottle of water set at a fine mist, if they are panting heavily repeatedly wet them with a hose.
- Make sure your pet has two bowls of water in case one gets knocked over, add ice cubes to keep it cooler longer.
ON A HOT DAY - DO NOT....
- Leave your pet in your vehicle, even if it is in the shade.
- Travel with your pet in a poorly ventilated vehicle.
- Take your dog for a run in the middle of the day or allow your pet to exercise excessively.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SUSPECT HEATSTROKE
- Hose down your pet so their panting slows down and to stop their body temperature from rising.
- Ring your vet to tell them you are on your way – immediate veterinary attention is required, do not ‘wait and see’!
- In the car, keep your air conditioning on or your windows down to keep your pet cool throughout the journey.
- Treatment may include intravenous fluids, oxygen or a blood test to determine if organ damage has occurred. Severe cases can have a significant risk of death and may require hospitalisation.
Once your order leaves our warehouse and is scanned into the New Zealand Couriers network you will be sent track and trace details via email. You can use these track and trace details to keep an eye on your order, and when it will be delivered.
Payment is required when you place your order, you can checkout with your credit card, via online banking or in instalments with Afterpay or ZIP. Note: Your order confirmation is your tax invoice, as we endeavour to become more environmentally friendly, we no longer print and include copies of tax invoices with orders
Qualifying purchases made on auto re-order qualify for our loyalty programme. Almost all our premium vet diets, and vet recommended flea and worm treatments are included in the loyalty programme.